Have you tried Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe soul food? This famous southern sweet potato pie recipe is one of the best dishes in Soul Food.
After reading a Patti Labelle sweet potato pie review, you must realize that the original owner of this recipe is actually Patti Labelle’s best friend slash hairstylist, Norma. Additionally, Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe soul food belongs to the varieties of dishes from Southeastern part of United States.
- ⅓ cup of ice water
- ½ cup of chilled vegetable shortening (butter-flavored)
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1½ cups of flour
- A teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 large sweet potatoes (orange fleshed)
- 8 tbsp. of melted one stick butter
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. of ground cinnamon
- Mix flour and salt together. Add shortening after cutting it into pieces of pea-size bits.
- Stir them thoroughly and add water until they clumped.
- Press the dough into thick disk and wrap it by plastic warp.
- Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Roll the dough out on flour-covered surface until it flattens to 1/8-inch thick with 13 inch wide.
- Place it in a pie pan and trim the overhanging dough to 1 inch overhang. Fold it under itself then cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate it for one hour.
- Add water and salt in large bowl and boil it with over high heat.
- Add sweet potatoes after reducing the heat to medium.
- Wait until sweet potatoes are tender enough and drain it after.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them.
- Take refrigerated dough and uncover it.
- Brush the inside part of dough with melted butter and sprinkle brown sugar on the bottom part of pie shell. Bake the dough until it begins to brown in 400 degrees oven.
- Add the remaining melted butter, eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown and granulated sugar into the mashed potato. Mix them thoroughly.
- Spread it on top of the baked pie shell. Bake it for about an hour and half in 300 degrees.
- Enjoy your crusty Patti Labelle sweet potato pie recipe soul food!